Materials Management - Considerations
- Where will the materials be kept?
- School site (individual classrooms, teacher workroom)
- Off school site, central location (district or collaborative)
Managing the Materials
- Who will be in charge of the materials?
- Staffing (teachers, paid clerk or school aide, volunteers,
seniors from the community, students from continuation
high school class)
- How will the kits be prepared for use?
- Initial preparation of kits (teachers, paid clerk,
- Measurement items (separate items included with
kit, separate kits at each school)
- Student sheets (already prepared in student booklets,
copied as needed by teacher)
- Teacher-supplied items (petty-cash budget, packaged
- Teacher guides and prep tapes (each teacher has
his/her own copy, available in kit only, or available
in kit and additional copy in professional library)
- FOSS Science Stories and trade books (with
each kit or on a cart in the library)
Inventory and Consumable Replacement
- What is the inventory and replacement process?
- Refill kits from Delta Education
- Bulk materials purchases with site-based responsibility
- How is the inventory and replacement handled?
- Done at school by teachers or other individuals (each
kit user, one teacher doing all the inventory, one
clerical person, or a volunteer). Central order goes
- Done at school by district (paid clerk, student workers,
- Done at district central site (paid clerk, volunteers)
Checkout (Rotation) System
- What type of checkout system is being used?
- New system or existing (key components of system)
- Which kits at which grade level
- Frequency of rotation
- Are there any problems or concerns regarding safety?